The Thought Sink
(Existential Journalism)
Friday, October 24, 2003:
  Recite the Litany Against Meta-Blogging


I will not meta-blog.
Meta-blogging is the post-rotter.
Meta-blogging is the referential-humor that empties all meaning.
I will end my meta-blogging.
I will reach within myself and post original thought.
And when the post has published I will read it over and see its thought.
Where the hyperlinks would go there will be nothing.
Only my thought will remain.




So a blog I read linked to another blog, and I went there. By 'went' I mean I stayed in exactly the same physical spot, sitting in my chair, and moved the mouse so that the cursor on the screen hovered over blue-highlighted text, and then I pressed the button on top of the mouse.

Then the blue text grew bigger and bigger until it climbed out of the screen and swallowed my head, and while my head was inside the belly of the glowing blue words that spoke only of the true path, I heard a voice in my mind.

The voice was talking about blogging- with great wit- and it was going on about how it had been considering itself the pinnacle of blogging eliteness until it recently came across its old records of its first blog, and was now shamed as no disembodied voice had been shamed before. Then it recited examples of its shame.

What terrified me about this, other than that I thought the glowing blue words' digestive juices were beginning to dissolve my brain, was that a few of the disembodied voice's examples of shamefulness were stuff I admit I might very well produce. Oh, the horror.

I have yet to actually say anything about my life. This blog is supposed to be dedicated to improving my life. So this must be remedied.

I said I was unemployed. Well, I have a job interview tomorrow. I'm twenty-one, I have an extremely spotty work history, and I have no marketable skills; so it's with a temp agency that pays seven-fifty an hour, but I've had much worse. I'll be happy to get it, for now.

I have a spotty work history because:

1. The only thing I have resembling a marketable skill is my familiarity with personal computers- except I know next to nothing about networks and I never learned the registry when Win95 came out.

2. Twice I have passed a long period of unemployment by working for my dad. (a carpenter) Having a little work kept me just comfortable enough to keep me from looking for a real job very hard. Working for my dad is of course under the table, low paid, humiliating, and not an asset to a resume.

3. Every 'real' job I have had has ended in two months, save one. The job that lasted longer than two months was my first job, as a page (read: book shelver) in the children's department of the public library. I was never fired. Either it was a temp job or something would cause me to quit. In one case I fell down the stairs and broke my ankle; the shop I was working in didn't have worker's comp.

4. My college excursion in Texas- which I will not go into detail about here- was a disaster. It also kept me from working much that year, giving me another long, ominous 'period of unemployment'.

So now I've finished writing my post in an incredible ninety minutes, it's way too damn late at night, and I'm not going to be my best tomorrow. But damn it, this blog is important to me! I had to make a post. I needed to calm down, give the little devils a chance to go out and run around and tire themselves out. Now, maybe I can sleep. Good night. 

You cannot run away from weakness; you must some time fight it out or perish; and if that be so, why not now, and where you stand?
 -- Robert Louis Stevenson

Weak souls always set to work at the wrong time.
 -- Cardinal De Rets



Convergence Vectors:


Explanations:


Blog Log:

These *were* the blogs I actually read at least once a week. I haven't looked at any of them for six months now; they may not even be there anymore. They were all very good when I read them.

ARCHIVES
October 2003 / November 2003 / December 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / July 2004 / March 2005 / November 2010 /




Powered by Blogger

&