The Thought Sink
(Existential Journalism)
Thursday, November 27, 2003:
  Thank You

Today is Thanksgiving.

My plan to fix all of the problems of this blog last weekend was a disaster. It was a disaster on Friday and Saturday because I was exhausted and pushed too hard. I could have done it if I had actually sharpened the saw, but I did not do that. It was a disaster on Sunday because my mother rightfully wanted my help with the house, and despite anything she did to create the situation, I was an ass about it; we had a huge fight. My mother then did what my parents always do when I have a fight with them: she told me to go stay with the other parent.

Nothing does more damage to my emotional stability than those times when I am carelessly uprooted. I realized then that if I placed any value on the progress I had made so far, then I really, really, could not allow this to happen.

So I did something original, for me: I got on my knees and begged for three hours.

I am at my mother's place, The Accursed Schoolhouse, now.

Today is Thanksgiving. And every one of us has things that we value greatly but forget to appreciate out of habit. That is why the holiday exists. It is no good to tell a person that they should be thankful; nothing evacuates all gratitude faster than a demand for it. But in the past two years I learned that there is happiness to be found in realizing how much I enjoy the simple things right before me.

So here are some things that I am thankful for:

I am thankful for my mother, without which I would not be holding down my job, as she has made me a lunch every night and got up with me every morning and made me tea to drink in my car on the way there, and just generally been a beacon of encouragement.

I am thankful for my father, who lent me four hundred dollars to pay my car insurance, tag tax, and other expenses a month ago, when I did not have any money.

I am thankful for my car, which was given to me by my grandmother this January when she moved into a retirement community, as she no longer expected to be using it.

I am thankful for my aunt and uncle, who are in large part supporting my mother, and thereby supporting me.

I am thankful for my friends, who are back in town from college this weekend and whom I am looking forward to seeing tomorrow.

I am thankful for my blog, which has kept me sane enough in the past six weeks to keep from losing my reasons to be thankful for all of the above mentioned.

And I am thankful that some people are reading this blog, without which it would be meaningless.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. 

You cannot run away from weakness; you must some time fight it out or perish; and if that be so, why not now, and where you stand?
 -- Robert Louis Stevenson

Weak souls always set to work at the wrong time.
 -- Cardinal De Rets



Convergence Vectors:


Explanations:


Blog Log:

These *were* the blogs I actually read at least once a week. I haven't looked at any of them for six months now; they may not even be there anymore. They were all very good when I read them.

ARCHIVES
October 2003 / November 2003 / December 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / July 2004 / March 2005 / November 2010 /




Powered by Blogger

&